If your members move goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the Trader Support Service (TSS) is available to provide them with guidance on any changes due to the implementation of the Northern Ireland Protocol.
The Institute of Export and International Trade is part of the Consortium delivering the TSS as a free-to-use service for traders and intermediaries (carriers and customs brokers).
Why TSS is needed
The UK will leave the EU’s Single Market and Customs Union when the transition period ends on 31 December 2020.
From 1 January 2021, the ‘Northern Ireland Protocol’ will take effect, at which point customs declarations as well as safety and security declarations will be needed for goods moving from GB to NI to ensure:
• tariffs are not paid on trade within the UK
• Northern Ireland can benefit from UK Free Trade Agreements
• goods destined for Ireland (ie the EU) pay tariffs when they should.
Benefits to your members
If firms in your member associations move goods from GB to NI, then the TSS is available to them to ensure that the smooth flow of goods continues.
By encouraging your members to register for TSS, you will secure expert advice that guides firms through all these changes – at no cost to them:
• The TSS can complete declarations on their behalf, as well as safety and security declarations, if they choose
• Your members can attend free short training courses on key new processes that come into effect from 1 January 2021.
With less than two months to go until these new rules come into effect, please do encourage you member firms trading between GB and NI to register for the TSS here to help ensure that trade continues to operate seamlessly post-transition.