POSITION: Head of Public and Industrial Affairs
DEPARTMENT: BPF Membership Services
GRADE LEVEL: Manager
RESPONSIBLE TO: Membership Services Director
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Membership Services Director and Director General
Founded in 1933, the British Plastics Federation (BPF) is the leading trade association for the UK plastics industry. It has over 450 members that span across the supply chain. This includes plastics recyclers, polymer producers and suppliers, additive manufacturers, services providers, end users, plastics processors and machinery manufacturers. Membership represents around 80% of the industries turnover.
The Head of Public and Industrial Affairs will have responsibility for the development and implementation of the BPF’s public affairs strategy and the management of the issues department.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the issues department, directly managing the Industry and Sustainability Manager.
- Ensuring that the BPF has a position on key issues.
- Development and implementation of the BPF’s public affairs strategy
o Establish and maintain good relations with UK Government civil servants, Members of Parliament and other key strategic government stakeholders
o Foster interaction of members with their relevant MPs
o Coordinate the delivery of relevant communications to parliamentarians
o Management of stakeholder engagement file
o Organisation of Parliamentary Reception and other related events
- Participation in meetings of selected European plastics industry trade associations
- Representation of BPF in UK Government Committees as directed
- Representation on relevant external organisations
- Act as the spokesperson in media appearances and other events on behalf of the BPF.
- Recruitment, motivation, development and appraisal of support staff.
- Other tasks as directed
• Understanding and experience of the political system and policy formulation process with a sound understanding of the workings of Westminster, Brussels and local government
• Ability to navigate complex political environments and to influence and develop relationships with senior, influential stakeholders
• Experience of public speaking
• Track record of leading and motivating a small team
• Capable of presenting both technical and business issues
• Capable of co-ordinating and managing projects to conclusion
• Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
• Good IT skills
• Previous experience within the plastics industry, recycling industry, packaging industry or sustainability areas would be beneficial, but not crucial
• Degree level or equivalent
• Excellent interpersonal skills with first rate written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
• Ability to handle business sensitive and complex information
• Well balanced and diplomatic with the ability to understand different points of view and find common ground
• Capable of building relationships with colleagues and member companies
• Well organised and disciplined project management skills
• Comfortable working with people at all organisational levels
• Resourceful and flexible
• Ability to think strategically whilst having a good eye for detail
REMUNERATION & BENEFITS:
Salary £competitive (Commensurate with skills and experience) + performance incentive plan, group personal pension, death in service benefits, season ticket loan and 22 days holiday.
For further information or to apply, please contact Stephen Hunt, Membership Services Director or call on Tel: 020 7457 5044.
No Agencies Please.